Russian authorities said they were investigating a suspected suicide bombing on Monday after a blast on the Saint Petersburg subway system killed 11 people and wounded dozens.
Initial reports said the device appeared to have been packed full of shrapnel including metal nuts and bolts to cause maximum damage and had been left in the carriage in a back pack by the attacker, investigators said.
Monday’s attack was the deadliest outside the Caucasus since two suicide bombers killed 32 people in the southern city of Volgograd in December 2013.
Suicide bombers also targeted the Moscow Metro in 2010 and Moscow's Domodedovo international airport in 2011.
St Petersburg was last struck by terrorism in October 2015, when a bomb on board a civilian airliner travelling from Egypt killed 224 people, many of them holiday makers from the city.
keyboard shortcuts: V vote up article J next comment K previous comment